The Bunbury family originated from Cheshire and maintained estates there until the mid 18th century when much was sold by Rev Sir William Bunbury to raise money to purchase more property in Great Barton and Mildenhall.
Sir Henry Edward Bunbury, latterly Lt General, was responsible for much of the building on the estate, including cottages in The Street and the almshouses. He also built the local pub the Bunbury Arms in 1844, its suggested so that he could keep his workers where he would be able to keep an eye on them rather than them going into Bury for a drink.
Epsom Derby Connections
The horse that won the first 1790 Epsom Derby horse race was Diomed, who was owned and trained by Sir. Charles Bunbury at Barton Hall. Sir Charles Bunbury was the Uncle to Sir Henry Edward Bunbury.
The Epsom Derby would have been called the Epsom Bunbury if Sir Charles Bunbury had not lost the toss of a coin to name the race to Earl Derby.
The Coat of Arms
The Pub sign depicts the coat of arms of the Bunbury Family. Their purpose was to distinguish one from another in battle. The Bunbury’s coat of arms is a black diagonal line on a white shield with 3 chess pieces: Rooks. To the left the shield is an open iron helmet used to depict knights and baronets. The Bunbury’s were baronets. The title sir being passed down to the eldest son, their wife would have the title lady. Above the open iron helmet, is the crest of the Bunbury family
The top latin phrase ‘Firum – In – Vita – Nihi’ means: “Nothing in Life is permanent’
The lower latin phrase ‘Esse – Quam – Videri’ means: “To be, rather than to seem’